Monday, March 05, 2012

The Bar Jar


Ladies and Gentlemen I am proud to announce I am not alone in this jar-affair. 

The Toronto Star and bars across this region are putting the Mason jar in the spotlight.
Hurray!

Mason jars and alcohol are a perfect match but definitely not new to the bar seen.

During prohibition mason jars were used to smuggle alcohol into the country. If you were to sneak a drink in those days it was common that it would be in a trusty mason jar. Pretty convenient if you ask me, especially if you were on the run.

Speakeasies may be out but the Mason jar forgot to follow.

Great places to drink from jars: (Toronto Star's Choices)
Mildred’s Temple Kitchen - Bungalow Island Caesar ($8.50)
Parts & Labour - Collins McMacintosh ($12)
Burger Bar - Sours ($6)


But better yet, make your own… at home!


Two weeks ago I teamed up with The Lady Lager to blend our loves: beer and jars.
After a few spills and some modifications we were equipped with beergaritas for our night out.

It was only proper for The Lady Lager to add the beer.
What you need:

2 cups frozen limeade (recipe below)
2 bottles of light beer
1/2 cup tequila

Then:

In a pitcher, combine frozen limeade, 2 beers and 1/2 cup of tequila.  Pour mixture into Mason jars and close lids. Place in the freezer overnight until frozen through, then mix so that it is in slushy form and serve.

Make extras so you can pull one out when you need a treat. 

Cheers!

P.S. Be sure to check out the amazing Toronto Star tribute to the jars.

5 comments:

  1. Great post. Looks like you ladies had fun. Well, who wouldn't have fun with beer and mason jars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! I will send you the photos when I find my pic card.
    Great recipe I will keep for parties and fun gatherings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmm. I am getting extremely thirsty reading this! Let's make some ASAP! Can we try some with wine Kris?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well summer is coming and my favourite summer drink is a margarita and I do like beer. Sounds likes I will be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using your beergarita recipe for girl's night tomorrow. Thanks for the great idea! My friends will love it!

    ReplyDelete